This post contains affiliate links.
Recognizing someone’s good qualities or appreciating people for their good deeds motivates them to keep up the good work. However, many of my ESL students face difficulties appreciating people in English as they have limited knowledge about appropriate expressions of appreciation.
There are hundreds of ways you can appreciate someone. I’ll share some specific expressions to appreciate someone in English in this post.
To appreciate someone, you can talk about their inner and outer beauty and good qualities, including their creativity, professionalism, sense of art, singing, cooking, voice, eyes, smile, etc. You should be honest and thankful from the core of your heart while appreciating someone rather than saying good things merely to make them happy.
However, if you are looking for a platform where you can practice English and master your desired English skills, you may check my recommended Best English Learning Platforms. Besides paid learning, these platforms offer tons of free lessons too. You can also check what offers are available for ESL Advice learners.
The words you use to appreciate your friends’ artwork may not be the same as when you appreciate their singing. The way you praise someone’s voice cannot be the same as when you praise someone’s smile.
Thus, we need to know some specific English expressions/words/phrases to appreciate someone for their particular quality or good deed.
How to Appreciate Someone’s Creativity
We have so many creative people surrounding us that we should appreciate to inspire them to move forward. I believe there is no doubt that motivation can help creativity flourish. However, sometimes we feel like appreciating someone for their creativity but don’t find suitable English words or phrases.
Here I present some appropriate but very common English expressions to appreciate someone’s creativity.
- What a creative concept! I would love to move forward with that.
- Your ideas are prolific! I must share them with the board.
- How do you always have the best ideas? I wonder!
- Wow! Your creativity seems limitless. You have won it again.
- I appreciate your innovative ideas. We must work accordingly.
- I admire your creativity.
- I love the way you are creative.
- Your creativity is undeniable. We all are proud of you.
- You are one of the most creative people I’ve ever met.
- I believe n your creativity.
- Your creativity has moved me from the very beginning of your joining here.
- You are blessed with the utmost creativity. Thanks to the almighty.
- Your creativity is reaching new heights day by day!
- You are more creative than you realize.
- You’re truly a gem of creativity.
- May your creativity always shine like this.
- Having a creative soul like you in our team is a blessing from God. Thanks for being with us.
- I appreciate your out-of-the-box thinking. Keep it up!
Like creativity, there are other inner qualities that people surrounding you may have. To learn different expressions of complimenting someone’s inner qualities, click here.
Odd how the creative power at once brings the whole universe to order.Virginia Woolf
If you are looking for an ESL course that may help you to achieve your goal, I suggest you check my recommended best online English courses. I have tested several online courses and decided to make this shortlist that includes a variety of courses. I believe, as an ESL learner, you will get suggestions for courses related to all skills: listening, speaking, reading, writing, pronunciation, etc.
How to Appreciate Someone’s Painting
You can hardly find someone who is not mesmerized by good paintings. It is an excellent form of art that is appreciated by all. However, we face difficulties putting the right words to appreciate a painting. Sometimes we may offend someone unknowingly by talking about their artwork incorrectly.
Remember! Not all painters may like to be compared with other painters. They usually want to create their own unique identity. So be careful while comparing a painter with others.
- Wow! It’s a masterpiece, I must say.
- I just loved this piece of art. It seems amazingly pure.
- I’ve never seen such details in any contemporary painting.
- It’s a fantastic piece of art. You are great!
- I wish I could paint like you!
- You are a gifted talent.
- The painting seems so natural.
- It seems everything in the painting is live.
- I’m spellbound!
- It’s so different from traditional painting.
- You are a brilliant artist!
- Great work!
- I must say your effort for this painting paid off.
- The painting reflects your passion for it.
- The color in the painting is very eye-soothing.
- Amazing! The portrait looks like a photo.
- Your effort is evident in the painting. It is worth it.
- I’ve become a fan of your art after seeing this.
- You are the best painter among the people I know.
- Every artwork of yours is a milestone.
- This is a spellbinding painting!
- Your paintings tell a story—a story of your passion for it.
Painters are magicians who can show you things that you have never even imagined. A good painting can hypnotize an art lover. All artists need inspiration. And appreciating their works can greatly inspire them.
If you are eager to improve your conversational and other skills with the help of some essential books, you may check my recommended best English learning books.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into sun.Pablo Picasso
How to Appreciate Someone’s Singing
To appreciate someone’s singing, one can use many attributes like excellent, unique, mesmerizing, fantastic, captivating, melodic, etc. However, while complimenting someone, you should speak your mind and express your feelings with the words that come naturally. There is no best way other than to be honest while commenting on anyone’s singing.
- Your voice is amazingly melodious.
- What a powerful voice you have!
- You performed very well. I just loved the way you sang.
- I wish I could sing like you.
- You are a true rockstar.
- Listening to your songs makes my heart calm and peaceful.
- Your performance of Tagore songs is incomparable.
- Your voice is very ear-soothing.
- You are a gifted soul for classical singing.
- You are the best vocal this band ever had.
- You are such a promising singer.
- Your voice is perfect for playbacks in movies.
- You have excellent control over your voice.
- What a performance!
- You sang wonderfully.
- You sing the high notes very well. That’s impressive.
- Your tone perfectly depicted the emotion of the song.
- You are an exception in singing romantic songs.
- You have a magical vocal that mesmerizes the audience.
- You sound heavenly. God bless you, my dear.
- Your singing touched my soul. Thank you so much.
- You captivated everyone in the hall through your singing. I’m proud of you.
- I remained spellbound for the whole concert. He is such a great singer.
Singing is an excellent form of art. While listening to music, you can meditate and keep yourself away from all the tensions with its magical touch. It’s a great source of entertainment to keep you happy even when you are at odds. If any music can give you absolute pleasure, you cannot refrain from appreciating it. The compliments will come from within.
To me, singing is like freedom. It’s a very therapeutic thing. It’s incredible. I can just lose myself. It’s sort of like meditation.Lisa Stansfield
How to Appreciate Someone’s Cooking
Cooking requires both time and effort since it involves many steps to follow. Thus, we must appreciate the people who cook for us both at home and in restaurants.
For many people, cooking is a profitable business industry, and it’s an art to some. As we appreciate someone’s painting, listening to songs, or watching playing football, we must appreciate someone’s cooking.
Here, I present some expressions that you can use to praise someone’s cooking. However, these are not all. You can use your creativity and speak your mind to do so.
- Wow! So tasty!
- Cooking is an art, and you proved it.
- The steak is tender and juicy. You’re becoming an expert day by day.
- Delicious! I would love to have some more.
- This is the best beef curry I have ever tried.
- I ate it all with heart content. Such a finger-licking taste is rare!
- I’m sure there’s none to beat this dish!
- Thanks for preparing this outstanding dinner.
- Cooking is your cup of tea, and you proved it again.
- The grilled sandwich is fantastic. I liked the smokey flavor.
- You are an incredible artist; I mean a cook.
- We had a great lunch together on your last birthday. I can remember the taste of the desserts you cooked.
- The vegetable gives a fresh vibe while chewing. You cooked it well.
- You are very good at baking. I like whatever you bake.
- I would love to have your signature item; the oven-baked creamy pasta.
- Hey buddy! Can you share the recipe? I would love to try it at home.
- I would love to meet and thank the chef.
- Convey my thanks to the cook, please.
Cooking is a great skill and a performative art like other arts. One should have the ability to do their regular cooking and appreciate others for doing so. I have another post that can help you learn how to compliment someone’s ability or performance.
Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colors, there are only so many flavors—it’s how you combine them that sets you apart.Wolfgang Puck
How to Appreciate Someone’s Speech or Presentation
When you like someone’s speech or presentation and feel like appreciating it, it’s better to mention the reasons. It will sound authentic and convincing if you show why you enjoyed it. They will feel satisfied and motivated. Here are some example sentences that you can use to appreciate someone’s speech or presentation.
- I really liked your speech. It was very informative.
- I’m happy that I could finally attend your seminar. Your speech was admirable.
- You presented well. It was to the point.
- I appreciate your endeavor. Thanks for such a long speech on the topic.
- You talked about every single detail. I could learn a lot.
- Your presentation was impressive.
- That was a very insightful presentation.
- You did very well in the Impromptu speech. You will secure the 1st prize, I hope.
- Everyone is delighted with your presentation. I’m proud of you.
- It’s always a pleasure listening to you, sir. Thank you for the opportunity to attend the talk.
- I liked your presentation the most. You successfully pointed out the vital issue.
- It was a great speech. Too witty, I must say.
- You are the best in your presentation, as always.
- Your presentation was terrific. The slides were very communicative.
- She is the best presenter here. We can select her to deliver the speech on our behalf.
- The content of your presentation was so good. I loved it, and I believe everyone did.
- I’ll remember the suggestions you made In your speech. It’ll surely help me succeed.
- I loved the way you delivered the jokes. That made your presentation very engaging.
- The humourous story added beauty to your speech. Everyone liked it.
- I liked your confidence. You are becoming a better presenter day by day.
Giving a speech or presentation in front of an audience is difficult for most people. Even an expert speaker may feel nervous standing in front of a crowd and speaking. Thus, a person who is good at public speaking must be appreciated to show respect for their endeavor. Your appreciation can help speakers minimize the difficulties of speaking in public.
He who wants to persuade should put his trust not in the right argument, but in the right word. The power of sound has always been greater than the power of sense.Joseph Conrad
How to Appreciate Someone’s Success or Achievement
Appreciating someone’s success and achievement can boost them to move forward with their future endeavor. Whether you are the high official of a company or a parent, your appreciation is required to acknowledge your employees’ or children’s hard work and effort. Here are some expressions you can use to compliment someone’s success or achievements.
- Congratulations! You got the result of your hard work.
- We all are delighted to see your success. You really deserve this.
- Congrats! It’s time to celebrate your awaiting success.
- I’m very proud of you for your hard-earned success.
- I knew you would make it. Success is all yours.
- You were the most suitable person for this position. Congrats!
- May your success continues in this way.
- You are the real gem. Your success was obvious.
- Your efforts resulted in success. Keep shining like this.
- Your skills bought this reward. We all are very lucky to have you as our colleague.
It takes a lot to achieve something. Everybody appreciates successful people, and it doesn’t come without hard work, sincerity, and patience.
Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.Theodore Roosevelt
A Sample Conversation on Appreciating Someone in English
The following is a conversation between Joe and Aunt Marry in which they appreciate each other in different ways.
Marry: Hey, it’s so good to see you, Joe! Long time!
Joe: Yeah! I had a school term.
Marry: Make yourself at home.
Joe: Oh, this saucer chair is so snug. You’ve always got good taste for furniture, aunt Marry!
Marry: Thanks. And you look much taller and healthier now.
Joe: I’ve been hitting the local fitness club lately.
Marry: Wow! That’s great! I believe you’re getting the results of your hard work! Fitness and education walk side by side.
Joe: Right. Your study looks amazing!
Marry: Oh, you really liked it! I did the painting and decorating myself— it took me three months.
Joe: Incredible — I admire your creativity and hard work! However, mom always says that you’ve been a gem of creativity since childhood.
Marry: That’s so nice of you, Joe! Well, your mom told me that you’re getting good at gardening. Is that true?
Joe: Yep. Dad taught me well how to grow tomatoes. I’d sown some seeds a couple of months ago. Mom made a sauce with a few of the grown tomatoes last week. It was delicious!
Marry: I believe you’re blessed with your grandpa’s farming creativity. He was a master in farming.
Snug (adjective): the comfort or well-fitting of attire or furniture
Study (noun): a decorated or designed room for studying, writing, researching, etc.
Gem (adjective): an amazing personality of merit, intellect, or quality
Taste (noun): a person’s idea or liking for a high-standard or quality thing
Incredible (adjective): something that is hard to believe or extraordinary
Delicious (adjective): to appreciate or praise a tasty drink, food, or dessert
There are so many other things that you can appreciate about someone. You can appreciate someone’s outer beauty and inner qualities. You can talk about their eyes, smile, voice, etc. Yet, you should be picky about the expressions depending on the situation: formal or informal. Here, you can find some tips that you can follow to appreciate or compliment someone in English.
We have talked about different ways of appreciating someone for other purposes and occasions. If you still have any questions or need help, you can comment here. To learn how to reply to compliments or appreciation, you can check my other write-up on replying to compliments.
Thanks for reading.
1 thought on “How to Appreciate Someone in English”